Another week and more stitches done. Not too many though (most of them yesterday). I’ve been getting distracted with everything. Mainly work. We had the district manager drop by for a day and that was exciting and rather scary. I could walk on eggshells better than deal with a Bigwig Visit.
Fortunately it all worked out! She liked the store and life is good!
Now, onto the stitching. I’m going to start with Stitching Pirates.
As I said last week, this pattern was my largest thus far. It took me 66 days (more or less) to finish. All full stitches, which was a lovely break from Tale as Old as Time’s quarter stitches. (so many quarter stitches) I got this pattern to participate in a Speed Stitching Contest with Stitching Pirates on DeviantArt.
I always learn something new with every project I do. On this piece in particular I think I’m starting to work out the extra borders. It really was nice to have plenty of room (unlike my panic with Belle). But let’s start at the beginning:
I loved the ease of this pattern! It was black and white and it was super easy to tell where on the pattern I was. The overlap was even super easy!! I wish my Aurora pattern was this simple… It was also the first time in a while I went back to a hoop. It was a bit smaller than I originally wanted, but it turned out to be a good size even if I had to move it a lot as I was finishing up.
I used a bit of stray fabric I had laying around. I recently cleaned up my room and found that I had even more than I thought I had. The fabric I used was a cream/off-white and the blue waves came out better than I hoped for.
This was the second WIP I took. You can start to see the skull and crossbones and the sails. The light cream that made the majority of the sails actually merged a little too well with the color of fabric I was working with. This doesn’t sound like a problem… until you realize just how many single stitches of colors there are!! This was the difficulty with this pattern. So many single, random color changes. I even missed a few!! In the sails it was really difficult because there was a lot of light colors. These random colors had to be tackled after doing a large grouping so that I could secure it well.
This was also a new hoop design for me. It worked great and I loved it!!! That is all I can say, I’m using the same hoop in Aurora. I can’t really describe it, so I’ll be sure to get a picture up sometime. I think it is by Yarnology and I got it at Michael’s. It keeps fabric really tight and that’s always a good thing, right?
I think this is where I will pause on the retrospective. Don’t worry, I have more WIPs of Stitching Pirates and I promise I will get a better picture of the finished work. I’m busy/lazy.
As for updates:
Tale as Old as Time is coming along. I usually do this one for long stretches on my days off or during Scorpion or movies in the main room. I’m working hard on the outer circle but I may go and do some more with that skirt. The hole is starting to bug me.
I really should get a better camera than my phone one of these days… all the pictures I take are crappy. But they get the purpose across I think.
Aurora is also coming along nicely. I didn’t get as much as I wanted done. But I hope to get more done this weekend and throughout the week. Though, sadly, I don’t get to bring my stitching to work as Bossman is being nice to the crazy Part-timer and letting her be in the store for a full 8 hour shift. Which is really unnecessary. Perhaps I’ll blog about it.
Bossman is a real softy. But he lets me do my stitching when we have down time. So, that’s a super plus!
See you all next week… or maybe even later in this week. I have something in the works that I can’t wait to start writing about… Until next time!